Avid Pro Tools Carbon Audio Interface
Pro Tools Ethernet Audio Interface with onboard HDX DSP acceleration, 25 x 34 simultaneous I/O, eight mic preamps, and four headphone outputs. Includes 1-year Pro Tools subscription with ‘perpetual parachute’ - after expiration, continue using the last version you installed as a perpetual parachute license. Or if you already own a Pro Tools subscription, extend your subscription by 1 year.
Avid Pro Tools | Carbon™ is a new breed of audio interface. It’s a hybrid audio production system that features incredible sound quality and combines the power of your native CPU with onboard HDX DSP acceleration. So you can push your computer to the limit when you mix and record through AAX DSP plugins with near-zero latency monitoring. All at the touch of a button. All in Pro Tools®.
Pro Tools Carbon Features:
- Achieve maximum Pro Tools performance with a hybrid system that harnesses onboard HDX DSP and native CPU power
- Record flawlessly through AAX DSP plugins in real time, enabling you to create polished cue mixes and track with zero audible latency
- Toggle any track from native to DSP processing mode, freeing up your CPU cores to handle virtual instruments and more creative mixing
- Capture every performance detail with up to 32-bit/192 kHz audio conversion, double precision clocking, and Avid's most transparent mic preamp design ever
- Create, record, edit, and mix professional-quality music with Pro Tools, thousands of instrument sounds, and studio-staple effects and sound processors
- Expand your sonic possibilities with a special pack of premium plugins from Arturia McDSP, Plugin Alliance, UVI, Native Instruments, and more
- Get all the I/O you need to record an entire band, with 25 x 34 simultaneous channels, including four headphone outs
- Optimize or change up the tone of your mics, guitars, and
DSP and Native - The Best Of Both Worlds
With the Hybrid Engine under its hood, Carbon maximizes Pro Tools performance, letting you say goodbye to distracting third-party apps. Because every AAX DSP plugin has a native counterpart, you can move seamlessly between worlds at the touch a button. Put a track in DSP Mode for recording, and Carbon accelerates real-time AAX DSP plugins, while your CPU plays back the rest of your mix. Bring the track back to native mode for mixing, and Pro Tools automatically takes care of the technical tasks for you.
AAX Plug-In Architecture
Unmatched dynamic range. 64-bit float double precision processing. When it comes to shaping and enhancing sounds, the AAX plugin architecture lets you take your music further. It’s the only plugin architecture with true hybrid capability. And it’s designed to deliver the same impeccable sound quality in both native and HDX DSP domains. That means you can disconnect Carbon and take your mix on the road or collaborate with others who don’t have the interface.
Onboard HDX DSP Processing
With a custom-designed FPGA and eight HDX DSPs at its core, Carbon is a powerhouse. The FPGA routes audio blazingly fast—one sample at a time—with near-zero latency, while the HDX DSPs handle real-time plugin processing, performing at an amazing 22.4 billion operations per second. So, no matter how big your session gets, or how many plugins you use in it, you can always record with sub-1 ms latency monitoring. And it frees up your CPU cores for virtual instruments and more creative mixing.
Great-Sounding Audio Converters
The best sound quality begins with exceptional audio converters. Avid went the extra mile designing theirs with four ADCs per channel, providing a remarkable 126 dB dynamic range. From input, to the HDX DSPs, and into Pro Tools, the entire gain structure works at uniform 32-bit precision, providing more headroom without any signal degradation. The result? You can capture clean, natural sounding audio. Every time you record.
Musical and Transparent Mic Preamps
With a padless design, incredible 126 dB dynamic range, and support for 32-bit/192 kHz audio conversion, Carbon features the most pristine preamps we’ve ever made. Capture performances without coloration. Bypass any preamp to use your own outboard gear. And with Variable Z built in, you can adjust input impedance to optimize or alter the tone of any microphone or instrument—from dynamic and ribbon mics, to guitar and bass.
Extremely Accurate Clocking
Precision clocking is crucial for distortionless, artifact free audio. That’s why we designed a double resolution implementation of the patented JetPLL™ jitter elimination technology that runs twice as fast as typical JetPLL-based clocks for better sound and separation. And it’s twice as accurate, with extraordinarily low jitter, ensuring high-fidelity capture and playback.
Flexible I/O With Connections To Record a Whole Band
With 25 x 34 simultaneous I/O, Carbon is ready to record any session—from solo artists to full bands. Eight pristine preamps, four headphone outputs, and 16 channels of ADAT I/O open up creative possibilities for miking, cue mixing, and expansion. Plus, its super-fast, high bandwidth Ethernet connection not only preserves the highest possible sound quality from input to output, it’s designed to support future workflow enhancements too.
- 8 mic preamps with Variable Z (impedance) on inputs 5–8
- 2 Variable Z instrument inputs on front panel
- Stereo monitor outputs
- 8 x 8 line I/O
- 4 headphone outputs
- 16 channels ADAT I/O
- Word Clock I/O
- 2 Ethernet ports