Dave Smith Instruments - Prophet 12 - 12-Voice Hybrid Digital / Analog Synthesizer
The Prophet-12 has a resonant Curtis low-pass and
high-pass filter, four loopable five-stage envelope generators and a sixteen slot modulation matrix with 26 mod sources.
The Prophet 12 is the next step for Dave Smith’s revered line of
Prophet synthesizers. Each of the Prophet’s twelve voices is composed of
a brand new hybrid digital/analog architecture that sounds different
than any other DSI synth, yet retains the true Prophet vibe. With a
humongous twelve voice polyphony, streamlined design, and sophisticated
architecture, the Prophet 12 is ready to handle any sound you can dream
The Prophet Sings
The Prophet 12’s brand new hybrid voice has a digital front end
followed by an all analog signal path output. Each voice has four high
resolution digital oscillators (plus a sub oscillator), a digital
character effects section, a resonant Curtis low-pass filter, a
high-pass filter, a tune-able feedback circuit, a four-tap delay line
with feedback per line, four loopable five-stage envelope generators,
four syncable LFOs with slew and phase offset, a sophisticated
arpeggiator, and a sixteen slot modulation matrix with 26 mod sources
and 97 modulation destinations. The Prophet 12 is packed with a plethora
of sonic potential and power!
The digital oscillators can be frequency and amplitude modulated by
each other with incredible accuracy. They can be freely assigned in
whatever operator and modulator configurations you would choose. You can
even assign each of the oscillators to modulate LFOs, envelopes, and
The Prophet Controls
The Prophet’s sleek and instinctive interface invites full control of
the synth. Every parameter is fully programmable and editable from the
front panel. The controls are laid out in a coherent and logical fashion
allowing quick and precise access in the studio and on stage.
The Prophet’s full-sized, five-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with
velocity and channel aftertouch is rugged without sacrificing great feel
and playability. Two backlit, smooth and precise pitch and mod wheels
are accompanied by two location and pressure sensitive touch sliders.
The Prophet offers a myriad of controls for creation and performance of
its innovative sounds.
A Prophecy for the Future
The Prophet 12 is the most cutting edge hybrid synthesizer on the
market and defines what a modern polyphonic synthesizer is. Designed and
manufactured in San Francisco, the Prophet 12 has a glorious
combination of form and function in a sturdy, yet refined and elegant
Prophet 12 Synthesizer Specifications
- Five DSP-based oscillators per voice (including one sine wave sub oscillator)
- Four classic wave shapes (saw, square, triangle, sine) per oscillator
- Twelve selectable complex shapes per oscillator
- Three noise types per oscillator: white, pink, violet
- Analog VCAs
- Shape modulation
- Oscillator cross modulation: frequency modulation (FM) and amplitude modulation (AM)
- DX-style linear FM
- Hard sync on each of the four oscillators
- Five high-quality digital effects. Thicken the signal and add harmonics or completely destroy the signal pre-filter.
- Girth and Air are high and low shelf equalizers with harmonic excitement. Useful for thickening and/or adding air to the signal.
- Hack and Decimate are sample and bit rate reduction algorithms which
can add subtle grit or completely destroy the signal. It’s harsh yet
- Drive is a soft saturator for adding soft distortion and harmonic content to the signal
- Famed Curtis 2- or 4-pole resonant analog low-pass filter (self oscillates in 4-pole mode) per voice
- 2-pole resonant analog high-pass filter per voice
Feedback and Delay
- Tuned feedback
- Four-tap syncable multi delay with feedback and amount per delay per voice
- Four Delay + ADSR envelopes (LPF, VCA , and two Auxiliary envelopes)
- Auxiliary envelopes 3 and 4 freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations
- All envelopes can repeat/loop
- Four syncable LFO’s with phase offset and slew per LFO
- 16 x 2 modulation matrix with 26 mod sources and 100 mod destinations
- Modulation assignment buttons enable quick and easy modulation routing
- Sophisticated programmable arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
- Arpeggios are editable and saveable
- Re-latching arpeggiator
- MIDI note output
- Independent programmable stereo analog distortion per layer.
- More than 50 knobs and 50 buttons enable deep and comprehensive editing with little to no menu diving.
- Backlit pitch and mod wheels are easily visible in low light situations and have a smooth yet precise feel and response.
- Independently adjustable upper and lower pitch wheel range.
- Two assignable position- and pressure-sensitive latchable touch sliders for enhanced interactivity and control.
- Full-sized, 5-Octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch
- 396 user and 396 factory programs
- Direct program access using numeric keypad and dedicated User, Factory, and Bank buttons
- Playlist mode for generating easily accessible setlists of your
favorite programs. Create four play lists with up to forty programs
- 1 MIDI In, 1 MIDI out, and 1 MIDI Thru port
- USB port for bidirectional MIDI communication
- 1 Sustain/footswitch input
- 2 expression pedal inputs
- Main stereo output (2 x 1/4″ phone jack)
- Layer B stereo output (2 x 1/4″ phone jack)
- Headphone out (stereo 1/4″ phone jack)
- 1 universal IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100-240v, 50-60Hz, 30 watts maximum power consumption
- Walnut wood end panels and trim
- 38.4″ L x 12.8″ W x 4.15″ H (97.5 cm x 32.5 cm x 10.5 cm)
- 26 lbs. (11.8 kg)
Dave Smith Instruments products are used by an ever-growing roster of well-known musicians. Call or chat with
a RSPE representative today for more information.