Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4 MK2
Stereo Class A Microphone Pre-Amplifier / DI / EQ
The Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4 MK2 is a 4 Band Gyratory-based Eq with 11 selectable frequencies, and Mic, Line, and DI inputs. The DRS-Q4 MK2 has the advantages of more than 25 years experience in audio engineering, today’s component and manufacturing technology, while still retaining “that sound” uniquely achievable through Class A design. Phoenix Audio is dedicated to the development of Class A discrete technology used within high build-quality equipment. The DRS-Q4 MK2 uses our well proven and loved Class A output stage (DSOP-2) coupled with our custom wound output transformer, but also has our latest breakthrough in transformerless Class A, Discrete, truly-balanced Mic Input Technology which gives a “valve-like” sound. It also incorporates our high input impedance DI circuitry.
The Gyrator EQ circuit was designed around 40 years ago and was originally designed to emulate the characteristics of a coil or inductor EQ circuit without the issues that they can cause, the result is that our EQ circuit found in the DRS-Q4 MK2 is a very powerful but musical EQ perfect for sculpting or crafting vocals, drums or instruments etc whilst still being able to be used on mix bus duties.
Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4 MK2 Features:
- Unique Class A, transformerless, true-balanced mic input stage
- Transformer-balanced DSOP-2 Class-A discrete output stage with custom wound DB694 output transformer
- Wired with PTFE silver plated military grade cable
- -30dB input pad
- High Pass Filter: -6dB per octave @ 120Hz
- LED Gain Metering
- Push buttons: Hi-Pass, 48v, Phase Reverse, Switchable 48V phantom power on push-button switch
- 4 Bands of Gyrator EQ + High-Pass Filter
- High – 15K, 10K, (shelving EQ)
- Hi Mid – 6K, 3K, 1K6 (Bell curve EQ)
- Low Mid – 800Hz, 400Hz, 200Hz (Bell curve EQ)
- Low – 130Hz, 80Hz, 40Hz (shelving EQ)
- EQ Cut/Boost Levels
- 16dB Cut/Boost Per Band
- All EQ bands are stepped/detented to 21 positions for easy recall & stereo operations for mastering or the mix bus.
- DRS-EQ/500 has an overall output level with +15db of additional gain even while the EQ is in bypass, allowing the output fader to be used to drive the output stage & transformer to colour & saturate your sound, again even when the EQ is in bypass. (How can we not say "output" 3 times in the same sentence)?
- Phoenix Audio's Class-A DSOP-2 Output Amplifier with custom-wound transformer.
Hi-Fi Transformerless Mic Input Stage
Phoenix Audio's exclusive electronically-balanced, transformerless mic input circuit delivers fast transients and the full frequency spectrum (from sub-bass to the highest air band), while still delivering the full, warm and smooth characteristics that make engineers love Class-A mic preamps. Boldly outperforming transformer-based designs in both the frequency response and slew rate, the DRS delivers articulate, punchy and full-bodied input signals, allowing you to drive the output stage for a vast range of pure Class-A tones—from bold clarity to vintage warmth, and everything in-between. With a very high mic impedance of 10K, it is the perfect companion for ribbon mics and dynamics mic that often need specialist mic pre amps, the Shure SM7B particularly shines.
Legendary Transformer-Balanced Output Stage
Phoenix Audio's custom-wound DB694 output transformer is coupled to Phoenix's proprietary, fully discrete DSOP-2 output amplifier. The DSOP-2 is a direct descendent of the venerable TF1 amp which Phoenix's head-designer, David Rees, developed as an upgrade for vintage Neve modules. Going beyond the TF1, the DSOP2 is the pinnacle of Class-A output circuit design, offering up a smooth transition from ultra-clean to beautifully saturated tones.
Ultra-High Impedance DI Circuit
The DRS-Q4 includes very high input impedance DI circuits (10Mohm)—remarkably featuring no FETs—on every channel. This design means that guitar and bass pickups are not loaded, allowing the natural sound of both modern and vintage instruments to shine and actually enhancing the sound, sparkle and growl as if they were plugged into your favorite amp. Synths, drum machines, and even laptops can likewise be sweetened by the DRS's DI.
Easy and Intuitive In The Studio
Because you're working with a clean, robust, electronically-balanced input signal, the DRS Mic Preamp/DI makes dialing in your exact sound easy, intuitive and quick. By working the familiar stepped input gain control (up to 70db alone) and the -15dB pad against the variable output fader (which provides an additional 10dB of gain), you can dial in your preferred tones without having to consider an overly complex gain architecture. It's all about driving the versatile DSOP-2 output stage to your exacting tastes, whatever they may be in any given moment. Like so many other engineers, you'll find yourself reaching for the DRS Mic Preamp/DI over and over again to reliably deliver a vast array of outstanding sounds for any instrument or voice you're recording.