Empirical Labs ELQ Lil FrEQ
The Empirical Labs Lil FrEQ is a modern digitally controlled analog EQ offering unprecedented performance, and control over equalization. In a single height unit, Empirical Labs offers seven frequency shaping controls and one dynamic section… and every frequency is covered in at least two sections.
Eight Sections of Processing
There are eight sections of processing – what other EQ offers that? Even better – in addition to a master bypass, each of the Lil FrEQ’s sections features its own dedicated bypass switch, letting you instantly A/B the effect of each section as you adjust and fine-tune them.
HIGH PASS – The High Pass section is a really easy to use sharp filter that cuts all content below one of eight preset frequencies from 30-330 Hz. This filter is very steep and has a special shape that prevents frequencies from thinning out just above the cutoff point. The corner frequency is selected using up/down buttons, and indicated by LEDs that glow softly when the section is bypassed, and brightly when the section is engaged.
HIGH & LOW SHELVING – These two knobs function similarly to the familiar “bass and treble” tone controls found on many consumer audio playback systems; however, these are designed to a much higher performance standard, providing exceptionally smooth and musical boost and cut on the high and low frequencies.
PARAMETRIC EQ – The Lil FrEQ has four sections of fully parametric EQ (LF, Lo Mid, Hi Mid and HF), with each section featuring individual gain, bandwidth (Q) and frequency controls. It may be the cleanest parametric EQ section ever produced, operating below .0007% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) even at extremely high audio levels. Try finding those specs anywhere else!
DS (DYNAMIC EQ) – The DS section provides the highest performance, easiest to use, and possibly most natural sounding “De-esser” ever built. This powerful tool combines tunable filters with a compressor-like circuit that can help contain and control excessive high frequency content such as sibilants or other sharp transients, especially in the absence of other lower frequency content. It can also function as a one of a kind soft knee High Frequency limiter, which is one of the main things responsible for the Lil FrEQ becoming the go-to vocal EQ for engineers everywhere. It has been used on many acclaimed albums and major live performances all over the world, becoming the “go to” EQ for key tracks like lead vocals, snares, and bass. There are now dozens of hit record vocals that were processed thru the Lil FrEQ.
Lil FrEQ Features
- Possibly the most powerful Analog EQ ever produced. Eight sections of processing!
- Two shelving Equalizers, Special 3rd order HP (Low Cut) section with 8 selectable Frequencies, 4 Fully Parametric bands, and one Dynamic Equalizer section.
- Dynamic Section that can be used for De-essing and high frequency softening.
- Movable Dynamic Section. For instance, De-essing can be before or after EQ.
- Highest audio performance of any Parametric EQ ever available. The total harmonic distortion is typically below .0006% with all EQ bands Engaged! (See spes below). Empirical Labs had to buy a new analyzer to even measure the distortion.
- Performance exceeds any digital EQ in terms of Distortion and Noise. There is no Analog to Digital Converter that can currently produce such low distortion and noise.
- Built in Instrument Preamp/Direct box – Just plug a guitar or bass etc into the front panel and engage the instrument Switch, and you have the highest performance direct box currently available. Distortion is below .0007% on the Instrument Preamp, 114dB dynamic range.
- Three Outputs, including a Class A transformer output to give you an isolated output with the wonderful soft saturation and beefy low end that you get from your favorite vintage gear.
- Traditional and digitally controlled analog combined in new topology.
- Huge "DISTRESSOR" knobs with high resolution numbering - For easy readability and repeatable settings. They also go to 10 1/2 .
- A “BAD!” Hard Clip Indicator lights – A “Bad” Clip LED that lets user know he is within 1dB of hard clipping. It monitors every section of the EQ for internal clipping.
- Locked, calibrated, output level - Allows speed in setting tape and live mix levels.
- Foolproof operation - it's almost impossible to clip or get a bad sound.
- Single height and light weight – More processing than any other single height analog EQ.
- Discrete and integrated combination -The best of speed/linearity with repeatability. Hand tested & selected components. All metal film and Roederstein resistors in the audio path - top quality components, most being high temperature military spec parts.
- Switchable 115/230 volt operation - Extra fuse provided inside unit.
- True EQ bypass - Know what it's really doing.
- XLR and 1/4" phone ins and outs - XLR fully balanced design, pin 2 hot. Changeable by user to pin 3 hot!
- No internal connectors, high reliability parts and military grade switches and relays. All contacts doubled up for maximum reliability.
- Three year unlimited warranty.
- Interface and features found nowhere else.
- Hand wired, calibrated in USA. Shipping weight 14 Lbs.