Grace Design ALiX Instrument Preamplifier / DI / EQ
Like its big sibling the FELiX, Grace Design ALiX is built into the same roadworthy floor unit chassis, portable enough to throw in your bag or strap to your pedalboard, but still deliver studio quality sound to the stage. With the same stunning audio performance and legendary reliability as our pro audio range, ALiX brings open, musical and nuanced sonic character to any performance situation.
The same powerful eq section as the FELiX allows simple and intuitive tone shaping. The high pass filter cuts 12dB per octave from 20Hz to 1kHz, and can also be set as a notch filter for chasing down problem feedback or rumble areas. Parametric midrange covers from 70Hz all the way to 8KHz, and fixed low and high controls are carefully voiced for musical shading of bass and treble.
Controls are dead simple and clearly marked on the panel, making them easy to read and tweak on a dark stage. Footswitches include a mute / tune switch for muting all outputs except the dedicated tuner out, and a boost switch which activates the 10dB variable boost circuit.
The instrument input has a 3 position impedance switch to ensure your pickup system sounds its very best. The isolated DI output with our custom wound transformer delivers stunning clarity and bass response with incredibly low noise. A dedicated, level controlled amplifier output can be used to drive a stage amp or personal monitor, and a dedicated tuner output stays active when all the other outputs are muted.
Power is supplied by a universal 100-240VAC input module. 12V phantom is available in the line input for electret / lavalier mics, and we’ve even included a 9VDC 500mA BOSS™ style pedal power output jack, so you can power your tuner and effects right from your ALiX. A TRS insert is included for adding effects.
Grace Design ALiX Features:
- Musical and detailed acoustic-instrument preamplification brings studio-quality sound to the stage
- Three input-impedance settings to accommodate a wide range of pickup types – contact mics, piezo transducers, magnetic pickups, active electronics
- Simple and clearly marked controls are easy to read and tweak on a dark stage
- High-pass filter cuts 12 dB/octave from 20 Hz to 1 kHz and can be set as a notch filter for chasing down problem feedback or rumble areas
- Parametric midrange EQ covers from 70 Hz all the way to 8 kHz, and fixed low & high controls are voiced for musical shading of bass and treble
- High-frequency & low-frequency shelving cut and boost
- Boost footswitch for variable-level boost up to 10 dB (global)
- 12V phantom power is available in line-input mode for electret and lavalier mics
- Ground-isolated DI output with low distortion and fully shielded transformer
- Power supply and grounding designed for a quiet signal path and professional-level headroom & line-driving ability
- Mute / tune footswitch mutes all outputs except dedicated tuner output and headphone output
- Dedicated level-controlled amplifier output can be used to drive a stage amp or personal monitor
- Phase-reverse switch
- 9 VDC/500 mA pedal-power-output jack so you can power your tuner and effects from the ALiX power supply
- Side-panel DIP switches for HPF/notch select, midrange EQ frequency-range select, 12V microphone power on/off
- Global TRS effects-insert jack for inserting outboard processors into the signal chain
- Universal 100-240 VAC power supply with standard IEC cable
- 1/4" connectors with heavy-duty metal bushings
- Light & rugged roadworthy floor-unit chassis
- Designed and built in the USA
About Grace Design
In 1990, Michael Grace began building single order custom audio products for a small, devout following of recording engineers and artists. Before long, the word had spread about these custom microphone preamplifier designs, which were said to outperform anything else that was commercially available. In 1994, Michael partnered with his brother Eben and Grace Design was founded and began production of the model 801 microphone preamplifier. Not only did the model 801 provide a new level of audio performance and functionality, it helped to establish outboard the outboard microphone preamplifier as a new keystone in professional audio production.
Over the years, Grace Design has maintained a steady, methodical pace to developing new products and technologies. The Grace product line has evolved into a definitive collection of microphone preamplifiers, monitor controllers and other unique hardware. Grace Design prides itself on providing audio professionals and enthusiasts with some of the finest tools imaginable. And above all, Grace Design remains driven by the original passions that founded the company—the love of music and the art of recording it.
Regardless of the style of music you record, certain sound sources require accurate, transparent audio capture, and nothing does it quite like the Grace Design ALix. For more information, call or chat with an RSPE representative today.